Tuesday, October 2, 2007

"We the Media"

So I'm reading a book called "We the Media: Grassroots Journalism by the People, for the People," for my New Media and a Democratic Society course and am surprisingly enjoying it. Now I will confess that I just finished the first chapter, but from what I've read so far, the books seems to be rife with information that discusses the state of modern media.

I bring this up over and over again simply because it's a phenomenon that cannot be avoided anymore. The media is changed. Sure older readers still enjoy their printed newspaper, but how many young readers still pick up a paper and read it? Instead, they're heading online to read news Web sites and blogs to get their news. Whats more, these readers are participating in the process by adding comments to online articles, posting to their own blogs and essentially serving as watchdogs to the fourth estate. Having that extra layer of protection certainly can't hurt democracy, right?

No comments: