Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Raising Heat

It seems that UF has hit a new low when it comes to making budget cuts...or should I say a new high. Recently, the College of Journalism and Communications decided to raise the temperature in Weimer Hall's classroom by at least two degrees to help reduce utility costs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for being environmentally conscious and using resources wisely, but there has to be some sort of compromise. With the high humidity and even higher outside temperatures, students are having to sweat through class, and professors are having to let students out of class early because they cannot focus.

What makes this temperature change ironic is that the college spent a large sum of money refurbishing classrooms on the first floor of the building and replaced chairs and other fixtures in other areas of the building. I would rather sit in an old chair and be cool then bake while I'm in class.

No comments: